Lemon Cupcakes with Honey Meringue Icing Recipe with Manuka Honey
Sweet and tangy – was there ever a more perfect match than lemon and honey? These soft, lemony cupcakes are everything you love about a lemon meringue tart in a cupcake. Perfect for afternoon tea, parties or any time you feel like a treat. It’s hard to resist having just one more – you might want to double this recipe!
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- ½ Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- 1 ½ tsp. baking powder
- 6 Tbsp. unsweetened greek yoghurt
- 200g MVH Mānuka Honey
- 2 egg whites
- ¾ tsp. salt
- 3ml vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a cupcake pan with 8 liners.
- Cream the butter and sugar in a stand mixer until light and fluffy. Add the egg, lemon zest, juice and vanilla until mixed, scraping the sides as needed.
- Mix the flour and baking powder in a small bowl. Add a tablespoon of the yoghurt to the stand mixer while it’s on low speed. Add a ¼ cup of the flour blend and continue to alternate until just mixed.
- Divide between the cupcake liners and bake for 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out with few crumbs. Cool on a wire rack.
- To make the icing, bring the honey to a boil. While waiting, get started on the egg whites.
- Beat the egg whites with an electric beater until stiff peaks form. Add the salt and continue to beat. Once the honey boils, remove it from the heat. Slowly drizzle it into the egg whites whilst mixing at a high speed.
- Add the vanilla and continue to mix for 5-6 minutes or until the meringue is holding its peaks.
- Pipe onto the cooled cupcakes and singe the edges with a blow torch.