Roasted Peach Semifreddo Recipe with Kānuka Honey
This Summer semifreddo is a deliciously fresh dessert that is perfect at the end of a long Summer day. Semifreddo is a beautiful alternative to ice cream and doesn’t require an ice-cream churner. Serves 4.
- 4 ripe peaches
- 4 Tbsp. MVH Kānuka Honey
- 25g butter
- 9 egg yolks
- 1 cup caster sugar
- Scraped seeds of 1 vanilla bean
- 2 Tbsp. MVH Kānuka Honey
- 250g crème fraîche
- 600ml thickened cream
- 4 gingerbread biscuits (homemade or store-bought)
- 4 small sprigs of lemon thyme
- Leftover peach halves
- Peach semifreddo
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Cut the peaches in half and remove the stones.
- Transfer to the baking tray and dollop ½ Tbsp. of MVH Kānuka Honey into the stone hole of each peach half along with a knob of butter.
- Place in the oven and roast for 25 minutes or until peaches are nicely caramelised but still hold their shape.
- Set aside to cool then chop 4 peach halves into bite-size pieces. Reserve the leftover peach halves for serving.
- Line a loaf tin with baking paper.
- Whisk the egg yolks, caster sugar, vanilla seeds and MVH Kānuka Honey in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water until mixture is thick, pale and tripled in volume (6 minutes).
- Remove from the heat and transfer to the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk until cooled to room temperature (3-4 minutes).
- While the electric mixer is going, whisk the cream and crème fraîche in a bowl until soft peaks form.
- Carefully fold the voluminous egg mixture and chopped roasted peaches into the cream and crème fraîche mix. Do not overmix as the egg mixture can collapse.
- Pour into the tin, cover and freeze overnight until firm.
- Serve the semifreddo with the peach halves and gingerbread biscuit crumbled on the top. Garnish with a lemon thyme sprig.